It really is amazing how much one can learn in a few short days, especially as a new parent. Here is my summary of his first few days of life:
Birthday Day: Wow! I have this amazing baby who is so cute and seems pretty calm. He sleeps a lot and doesn't cry too much. He isn't very fussy and I think I'll be pretty lucky.
Day Two: (At Night) Okay, so the nurse said that baby's first nights are usually easy because they are so tired from labor. The second night on the other hand, not so much. He is up and crying all night. Hmm...I think I spoke to soon on the being lucky with a not so fussy baby. He was good during the day though. He seems to have jaundice, so we'll have to monitor.
Day Three: Going home from the hospital day. Pediatrician said if he is really hungry, don't feel bad about about supplementing with formula to get him full and satisfied. Okay, will make note of that, but let's try to see what we can do without it. Took him home and had another sleepless night. He was not a happy camper. Succumb to using a pacifier to soothe, which only worked a little.
Day Four: No sleep. Very tired. Rethinking this formula thing since it still seems like my milk has not come in. Decided to supplement and the moment we gave him some, he got the first good sleep since Days One and Two. What kind of drugs do they have in there? Supplemented before bed and we even got a few good hours of sleep. Thank the lord. He seems like that pleasant baby I met on Day One again.
Day Five: Baby's first doctor's appointment. Milk has come in, so don't feel the need to supplement with formula and he actually gained weight from when we left the hospital. He was born at 5 pounds 14 ounces, left at 5 pounds 8 ounces and is at 5 pounds 11 ounces. Jaundice is under control. Don't need to follow up until his one month appointment.
Lesson learned: As Doctor said formula and supplementing with it is not the end of the world and is meant to help you. There is way to much emphasis on strictly breastfeeding, and I admit I got caught up in the hubbub. If it means my sanity, I'll take it. Also, a baby that isn't crying all the time is way cuter than one that wails all night and keeps his parents up.
Birthday Day: Wow! I have this amazing baby who is so cute and seems pretty calm. He sleeps a lot and doesn't cry too much. He isn't very fussy and I think I'll be pretty lucky.
Day Two: (At Night) Okay, so the nurse said that baby's first nights are usually easy because they are so tired from labor. The second night on the other hand, not so much. He is up and crying all night. Hmm...I think I spoke to soon on the being lucky with a not so fussy baby. He was good during the day though. He seems to have jaundice, so we'll have to monitor.
Day Three: Going home from the hospital day. Pediatrician said if he is really hungry, don't feel bad about about supplementing with formula to get him full and satisfied. Okay, will make note of that, but let's try to see what we can do without it. Took him home and had another sleepless night. He was not a happy camper. Succumb to using a pacifier to soothe, which only worked a little.
Day Four: No sleep. Very tired. Rethinking this formula thing since it still seems like my milk has not come in. Decided to supplement and the moment we gave him some, he got the first good sleep since Days One and Two. What kind of drugs do they have in there? Supplemented before bed and we even got a few good hours of sleep. Thank the lord. He seems like that pleasant baby I met on Day One again.
Day Five: Baby's first doctor's appointment. Milk has come in, so don't feel the need to supplement with formula and he actually gained weight from when we left the hospital. He was born at 5 pounds 14 ounces, left at 5 pounds 8 ounces and is at 5 pounds 11 ounces. Jaundice is under control. Don't need to follow up until his one month appointment.
Lesson learned: As Doctor said formula and supplementing with it is not the end of the world and is meant to help you. There is way to much emphasis on strictly breastfeeding, and I admit I got caught up in the hubbub. If it means my sanity, I'll take it. Also, a baby that isn't crying all the time is way cuter than one that wails all night and keeps his parents up.
No comments:
Post a Comment