Sunday, July 1, 2012

I peed. Nope, I am having a baby.

I was worried that I would totally miss the on coming signs of child birth and be one of those people that just barely made it to the hospital, which I guess wouldn't be all bad because then you'd miss most of "process." I had just heard about an other woman that worked the entire day and didn't realize she was in labor until a few hours before giving birth.

Anyway, just before the end of my work day, I thought my water broke because everyone says they think they pee themselves. I was pretty sure I didn't pee, but at the same time I didn't think my water broke-- too early. When Akira picked me up from my office I felt another little gush and started to get concerned, so I called the doctor who told us to head into the hospital. Good thing we had moved to hospital bag to the car earlier in the week...

The hospital pretty much confirmed that my water did indeed break and I would be checking in. It was all pretty surreal and I don't think it really hit either Akira or myself that we would be having the baby within the next few days until he came out. The overnight stay was filled with waiting for the pitocin to kick in, which would start contractions. In the morning, when the doctor came in, she broke whatever was left of my water bag and the contractions started rolling in. 

Akira had to run home to pick up a few things, since the doctor said it would still be a at least several hours. And of course, once he left, the contractions became pretty intense. He was gone for less three hours and my pain level went from a two to a seven and had dilated from about 4 cm to 7 cm. I needed that epidural, but was supposed to wait for Akira. When he arrived, they were getting ready to insert the needle. I could not believe how intense the pain was. I have to admit I was not expecting it to be that painful and there is no way in hell I could have done it without the epidural. And the breathing did not help. I could go further into the pain and that ring of fire and such, but I think those details are better left unsaid.

By around 3 p.m. Thursday I was at 10 cm and the doctor wanted the baby to continue to drop. By around 4:30 p.m. it was push time and by 5:40 p.m. he was born. Noah Ryusei Kimo Kaneko was born at 5 pounds 14 ounces and 18.5 inches long. He's a little guy, but probably because he was a little more than 2 weeks early. 

Here is the before and after. Looks like his dad.

 We are all home now after 3 long pretty sleepless nights at the hospital. Not that we are getting much more sleep at home. We are figuring out our routine and continue to get settled in with baby since although we were ready for his appearance it was still earlier than expected. We all thought he would at least make it until July. But I guess, like mom, he prefers to be early than late. 

So far we have determined that he has Akira's nose, mouth and ears, my chin and we can't quite figure out the eyes. But from the pic to the left, I think he has Akira's eyes too. We'll see as he continues to grow and I will try to continue and update. I'll be off with Noah for the next 11 weeks, so hopefully I'll have some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment